WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CONAN O’BRIEN ?

26 03 2010

WHY IS JAY LENO BACK ON AT 11:35PM WHEN THEY HAD MADE THIS BIG DEAL ABOUT MOVING HIM TO PRIMETIME?  WHY IS CONAN NOT BACK ON HIS OLD TIME SLOT?  HOW IS JIMMY FALLON STILL THERE AND CONAN O’BRIEN NOT?  These are questions you should ask yourself when reading this.

Conan O’Brien released a statement in January stating that he no longer desired to be the entertainer of “The Tonight Show” on NBC if it appeared at 12:05 a.m.
Mr. O’Brien’s brief run as host at 11:35 p.m. was cut short last month, as NBC decided to restore his predecessor, Jay Leno, to that time period. Mr. O’Brien has been growing increasingly upset in recent days about how he believes he was treated by NBC’s management.

A representative for Mr. O’Brien said that the issue came to a head for the host in January and that he had “sat up all night drafting the statement.” NBC, whose “Tonight Show” has been broadcast at 11:35 p.m. for decades, declined to comment. Mr. O’Brien was scheduled to do “The Tonight Show” on Tuesday night.

In a statement back in January, Mr. O’Brien said, “I sincerely believe that delaying the ‘Tonight Show’ into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. ‘The Tonight Show’ at 12:05 simply isn’t the ‘Tonight Show.’”

Mr. O’Brien’s comments came two days after NBC formally outlined a plan to move “The Jay Leno Show” to 11:35 p.m. in March, elbowing Mr. O’Brien’s “Tonight Show” back half an hour. Mr. Leno seems supportive of the plan. In his statement, Mr. O’Brien rejects it outright. The statement reads:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over “The Tonight Show” in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004, I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my “Tonight Show” in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the “Tonight Show” to 12:05 to accommodate the “Jay Leno Show” at 11:35. For 60 years, the “Tonight Show” has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the “Tonight Show” into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The “Tonight Show” at 12:05 simply isn’t the “Tonight Show.” Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the “Late Night” show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard, and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of “The Tonight Show.” But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet, a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the “Tonight Show,” I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

After 16 years of making a name with his distinctive brand of intellectually silly comedy on the “Late Night” show on NBC, Mr. O’Brien replaced Mr. Leno as the host of “The Tonight Show” a mere seven months ago. He is just the fifth man to lead “Tonight,” after Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Mr. Leno.

Mr. Leno, meanwhile, moved to prime time in September as the host of “The Jay Leno Show.” But the 10 p.m. experiment was a bust for many NBC affiliates, which have seen the ratings for their late local newscasts plummet.

Mr. Leno’s last show at 10 p.m. was Feb. 11, and  “The Jay Leno Show” would be shown at 11:35 p.m. instead. NBC smoothly kept this under the radar by distracting viewers with  The Winter Olympics in Vancouver, setting the stage for  the new schedule which started on March 1. But the network acknowledged that day that Mr. O’Brien was not yet on board with the move.

Ever since the Leno-to-11:35 move was described in the news media last Thursday, people close to Mr. O’Brien have said privately that he is upset with the plan.

Fox has expressed interest in starting a late-night show starring Mr. O’Brien — provided he found a way to extricate himself from his NBC contract.

On Monday, Kevin Reilly, the president of Fox Entertainment, strongly endorsed Mr. O’Brien in an interview. “He would be a very compatible fit for our brand,” Mr. Reilly said. “He is one of the few guys on the planet that has demonstrated he can do one of these shows every night.”

Mr. O’Brien’s contractual complications were outlined in an article on Tuesday in The New York Times.

Update: 5:26 p.m.: The Internet has voted, and it’s supporting Mr. O’Brien in his struggle against NBC.

“Hey, NBC said they wanted drama at 10,” Jay Leno joked one night. “Now they’ve got it.”

FOX talking with Conan O’Brien’s reps, but no deal to snag late night comic from NBC.


Take a minute and read this also...


Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: